Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Crockpot Oatmeal

Decided to give this a shot the other day, based off of this recipe. It was relatively easy to put together as most crockpot meals are and it has been nice to pop a container in the microwave in the morning while I've got a toddler super glued to my leg. 

It turned out pretty tasty, though this is the first time I've "made" oatmeal and I think I'll try it again and make a few tweaks..

Here's my thoughts on this specific batch I whipped up:

I made this recipe with the apples on the bottom to make it more caramel like - I think I'd mix it all next time and maybe make a small batch of apples/butter/brown sugar in a saute pan to put on top to give a little more oomph.

I used all spice instead of nutmeg (I didn't have any), don't think this made too much of a difference.

I used less sugars than called for as I am trying to cut back on sugar and slim down in general, it definitely didn't turn out very sweet so I did sprinkle a tiny bit of brown sugar on my individual servings, I think this is where the sauteed apples would be really yummy and you wouldn't really have to go overboard, just a good heaping tablespoon would really be yummy.

I think I will add nuts the next time around to give it a little more bite.

Looking forward to making another batch and topping with different fruits.


I've always had oatmeal with a dash of milk..  my breakfast buddy approved!

prepped for the hubs on his way out the door in the mornings.

precious little guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment