Decided to jump on the candle upcycling wagon and clean out a few of mine from the holidays. It was a fairly simple process for the most part and since most of my bigger candles have lids, I am sure I can find a variety of uses for them.
Here is how I went about it: (once candles have completely burned down the wick)
- pour boiling water into the jar
- wait for it to cool, it will bring the remaining wax to the top of the jar in one piece, some of mine (the little pucks) still had great smell to them so I threw them in my electric warmers to get a few more hours out of them
- repeat - for me, the boiling water trick didn't get it all the first time, think I did it maybe three times total
- pry out the wickstickers at the bottom of the jars, I used an old butter knife for one and pliers for the other. ha
- soak them in soapy water, then scrub and pick off the labels, they come off fairly easy for the most part - rubbing alcohol also helps get some of the sticky off.
- throw in the dishwasher - they should come out crystal clear.
I don't think I would use them for any food related items unless they were pre wrapped, but that's just me.
boiling the wax out.
the little "pucks"