Sunday, November 27, 2011

Highlights.

Turkey day was nice, it was a day late..  but very nice.

Tennessee had a pretty ugly cold that started out Tuesday night and really didn't relent much until Friday afternoon, so needless to say we rescheduled Thanksgiving day til Friday so everyone could enjoy it. We had dinner at night, which is something I have never actually done for Thanksgiving..   everything was really good, a lot of old favorites and a couple of new additions that I think might stick around for holidays to come. My Grandma made a harvest apple salad that I didn't snap a photo of but man was it good, it had apples, pineapple, pecans, cream cheese..  so rich and delicious.

She also made some really moist cranberry bread and paired it with pieces of sharp cheddar for a starter..   was delightful.

I tried out a new recipe this year..  something I stumbled across a week or so ago on Sweet Treats & More. Mine varied a little as I could not find pumpkin spice pudding mix, so I opted to use butterscotch pudding and I folded canned pumpkin & cinnamon into the whip cream. The crust was outstanding..  my favorite element of this dish by far. Overall it was very good and stood nicely in the fridge for two days but it lacked the rich cream cheese flavor I was sort of expecting.. I think I will further modify it to achieve that goal..  I think I might give it another run for Christmas but with something other than pumpkin..   Im telling you, the base of this dessert was SO, SO good!

Pumpkin Lust Cake
from Debbie Mortensen

1 stick butter, melted
1 cup flour
1 cup chopped pecans
2 tbs sugar
1 (8oz) package of cream chees, soft
1 cup powdered sugar
2 (8 oz) containers cool whip (or one 16 ozz container)
2 small packages (3.4oz) of Jello Instant Pumpkin Spice Pudding 
3 cup cold milk
Nutmeg for sprinkling

For the crust:

1. Combine butter, flour, chopped pecans and sugar and press into a 9 x 13 in baking dish.  Bake at 375 for 10-15 minutes.  Let cool completely.

For the Cream Cheese Layer:

1.  Beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, and 1 1/2 cups cool whip until smooth.  Spread over crust.

For the Pumpkin Layer:

1.  Mix pudding mixes with cold milk, whisking for several minutes.  Set it in the fridge for 5-10 minutes to let it thicken.  Spread over the cream cheese layer. Top with remaining container of cool whip. Sprinkle with nutmeg. 

Cut into squares and serve.  Keep refrigerated.


One of my favorite eats at Thanksgiving is the cranberry sauce..   for a couple reasons. Tart cranberry sauce alongside juicy turkey is so delicious but the other thing is..  it is SO easy to make.. I don't know why anyone would buy the funky can shaped jell..  I love mine infused with wine, cinnamon and a hint of lemon.


No comments:

Post a Comment